Tuesday 19 May 2015

Now, the diet

I've got my running down. OK, I'm still missing the odd day or two - last week I did not go running on Friday, even though I was meant to do 6.4km on the day. I was working at a fibre exhibition and standing on my feet all day. After it finished, I went to a pub with a few friends and had a glass of wine. I was very good - I had one, then left in order to go for my run. However, by the time I got home and ready to run (I even put my gym kit on), I realised how sore my legs were.

Working at iKnit Fandango with the beautiful Louise.
I am so scared of injuring myself and not being able to continue. It has taken five months to get fit, but nearly ten years to persuade myself to persevere and actually get fit. I am terrified that I will overdo it, pull a muscle/get shin splints and struggle to continue. My brother has suffered from shin splints for a while - he is running the Edinburgh Half Marathon next week and has just had to take a fortnight off to try allow his legs to recover. I don't think I would be able to make myself run it if that were me.

To cut the story short, I didn't go for my run. Instead, I used a foot massager that John bought for me, soaked my feet in a mint bath (tutorial on how to do this here) and took an added rest day.

On Sunday I ran 8 km. I had an absolutely lovely run, with my pace right down to try allow me to get through the distance without too many problems. I ran through Highbury, down the most gorgeous streets lined with ancient trees that shielded me from the burning sun, through Highbury Fields and back home again. I had to stop in a pub to go to the loo for a moment, but that was the only break I took, which I was super pleased about!

I then went for a walk through Finsbury Park with my friends, and rather overindulged in the vino that night...so Monday, a 5km run day, was spent hungover and recovering, swearing off drink for the rest of my life. I did my 5km today instead, with increased pace to try improve my leg strength. I managed my 5km in just under half an hour - the fastest I've ever done, which was rather thrilling.

This week has been helpful because I have been reminded to listen to my body, but also to make sure I'm not eating junk! If it wasn't the wine on Sunday night, it has been chocolate covered raisins today that a friend left behind, or just being too lazy to make myself healthy meals and just eating toast. I'm feeling confident I'll crack it. This has been a good week for half marathon training.

Much love,

Corrie xx

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Glad the running is slowly getting more enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete