Thursday 19 June 2014

Day Three of Diet ~ Detox

When I posted yesterday, I started with saying how hard I was finding it. I am going to start this post by saying that yesterday was the hardest day so far. The novelty of The Diet has worn off. The pain from the gym on Tuesday was making itself known, and then I went to Zumba and nearly cried with the pain of that. I was full of the knowledge that this is a Long Diet and I am in it for the Long Haul.

The day started quite well - I was still extremely grumpy but I made myself a boiled egg and two halves of a grapefruit (I am going to finish the ones I bought before stopping that particular little part of the diet...) and nommed them down. Great, ready to go.


Now, my day at work splits into two halves. The first half starts at 7:45 am when I get to work, and ends at 12 pm which is exactly halfway through my day. The second half finishes around 4 pm when I get off work. I used to time my day in terms of cups of tea: the first fifteen minutes of the day was getting a big bowl of delicious grainy cereal with milk, and a cuppa. When my colleagues arrived, the second cuppa came out, then roughly every hour or two, another cup of either tea or water, and sometimes if I was really tired, coffee.

Now, I get to work and....nothing. I've eaten at home and I don't want to make a cup of tea. I sit up at my desk with a big glass of water in front of me, and savour the smells of the other people's breakfast floating up the stairs...toasting bread, bacon sometimes, brewing coffee...My colleagues arrive about half an hour after me and they get their mugs of tea before sitting at their desks. Unsweetened rooibos is fine...but it's just not the same as a cup of good ole builder's tea (although I have not had sugar in my tea for months, I am suddenly craving a big mug of sugary tea). I have not figured out how to measure my day out. To put this into perspective, yesterday in eight hours at work, I drank 6 pints of water. I might drown before the end of this.

I managed to last until precisely 12:00 before I opened my fruit salad. Yesterday it was an apple, a handful of grapes, a banana, an orange and a clementine. I made it the previous night - hence the funny colours. It went down super quick, and did not leave me as full as the previous fruit salad did, even though it had the same amount of fruit in it.


I then had the afternoon to contemplate. We listen to Heart Radio at work, and at one point an advert for some chocolate bar came on. Then another about grilled chicken. This happened throughout the afternoon. I was concentrating on trying to work, but I really, really needed a chocolate. Or maybe pieces of grilled chicken smothered in chocolate sauce? Or maybe a stinking pile of Nando's buffalo wings.

To distract myself, I took a mid-afternoon break and had a look at the gym schedule for the evening ahead. They had a Zumba class on - I needed to go for an hour, and the class was an hour long. On impulse, I booked it.

Now, I had never done Zumba before. I didn't even really know what it was. I sent another plea on Twitter (by the way, Twitter people you are fantastic) and was told what to wear by the wonderful @FrediSmith. Off I went.

I'm not going to give you a blow-by-blow account of the class, but boy was it hard. I struggled, and by the end my feet were not really leaving the ground...more shuffling. It didn't help that all the people in the class had been before and knew all the moves (apparently Zumba is basically mad crazy dancing) and the instructor was this gorgeous curvaceous black girl who had hips that entranced me. I do not think my hips will ever move like that.

I stumbled out after an hour and check the calories burned off. Six hundred!! If I weren't so exhausted, I would have been pleased. I was also worried about how many calories of salad I would have to eat to make sure I wasn't net a negative number of calories when I was done...as much as I want to lose weight, I do not want to starve myself...

I made myself dinner as soon as I got home (it was lamb chops night...oh my God I love lamb chops) and I added a small amount of mashed potato which was the boys dinner because I was so worried about the calories...it was only 50 g, and made me feel slightly better about it all. So the total dinner was two lamb chops, a mountain of rocket, spinach, mixed leaves, grapes, cucumber, and the small amount of mashed potato.

Dinner - before I decided to add the mash.
I finished dinner, washed up...and was still nearly starving. So I had a slice of plain bread with peanut butter on it. I don't feel guilty...I am definitely *not* going to kill myself here.

I then basically went straight to bed. It was already late and I had had a long day.

I woke up hungry...and breakfast was a single slice of toast. I'm back to the doctor today and hopefully that will break up the day enough to make me feel a bit better about things.

Much love,

Corrie xx

PS Juice hasn't arrived yet...eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment